Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to volunteer on an individual basis.
- Children ages 10-17 are permitted to volunteer as Dog Walkers along with a parent or guardian who is a trained volunteer.
- No more than 2 children will be allowed to walk with an adult at once.
- After completing training and 20 hours of service, volunteers ages 15-17 may request permission to volunteer on an individual basis.
Court-Ordered Community Service:
- We accept volunteers 18 and over for court-ordered community service.
- Community Service volunteers do not handle dogs. They provide shelter support including washing dishes, doing laundry, general cleaning, and special shelter projects.
- We ask volunteers to commit to one volunteer shift per week. Volunteer shift times vary by assignment, but are always at least one hour long.
- We ask volunteers to commit to four months of service to Animal House. Our volunteers are important to us, and we hope you will stay much longer!
Volunteer Fee & Background Check:
- Volunteer fees are $20 for college students, $30 for individuals, and $45 for families (includes 1 adult and up to 2 children.) Your volunteer fee helps covers the cost of background checks, t-shirts, and helps us direct more of our other resources directly to the dogs. Cash, check, or credit cards are accepted, and fees are non-refundable.
- A background check is run for those 18 and over.
- If an interested party cannot afford the fee, they may speak with the Volunteer Coordinator.
- We do not charge a volunteer fee for foster families.
- Training is required prior to volunteering and is designed to accommodate each volunteer position.
- Volunteers are welcome to participate in multiple positions as long as the required training is completed for each.